Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Cut and Panic

A couple of days ago, Tori was playing with an old soap dispenser that had been stored in the closet. It was shiny metal and pretty, so she was naturally attracted to it. The lid was off and she put her fingers inside the hole.

She started crying while standing by the stairs. Nothing seemed wrong, nothing in her hands, no mean brother around, she must've been scared by something. She came over and sat in my lap. Everything seemed fine. Then I noticed the blood on my shirt. Then I saw it on my shoulder where she had laid her head. I admit I panicked! I tried to stop the bleeding with a towel. I pressed too hard and it made Tori cry. I tried washing it off, more crying. Drying, more crying. Band-aid attempts were met with resistance, blood and more crying.

After I caused a fight with my panic, she settled down with a bottle and her hand stopped bleeding on its own. Her two fingers were dried together and she had other spots of blood on her where she had wiped her hand.

In the morning she was all cleaned up. It ended up being a small cut that bled profusely. She never took notice of it again.

100_0721


Her father, however, needs to learn to not panic and make the situation worse by going overboard. If not, they are going to be running to their Mama with every boo-boo.

No comments: